Facebook Messenger Rooms is set to compete with Zoom and other group video chat apps, and in fact it is an answer to Zoom’s malicious practices
Facebook has officially announced its group video chat room feature available globally and all you need is to download the latest version of Facebook app and messenger to start with it. So far, teleconferencing app Zoom has led the charge in taking the place of social hangouts during the COVID-19 pandemic, despite its countless privacy issues. But now Facebook has also entered in the the fray with its competitors like Google Meet, Skype and Microsoft Teams.
So here are some of the highlights of this new Video Chat Room of Facebook
- These rooms can be created directly from your Facebook app and the most amazing thing is that you don’t even require any Facebook account for this to setup, means you can simply start this and share rooms on Facebook through News Feed, Groups and Events, so it’s easy for you to drop by whenever you want.
- There is also a feature of sharing your invite links to the ones whom you want to join it directly and you can join a room from your phone or computer means you need not to download anything extra.
- There is a limit set by Facebook to the number of people that can join it, as it is stated by Facebook that you can invite max up to 50 people at a particular session with no time limit to chat.
- There is also one safety feature that you can lock your room and allow only to those whom you have invited, no outsider can come and breach your privacy unlike “Zoombombing”.
- Facebook also states that it does not end-to-end encrypt the calls, as it does on WhatsApp.
- This chat room comes with some additional feature like, AR filters and virtual backgrounds, which can really enhance the user experience.
How to create a Facebook Messenger Room
To create a room from your phone, make sure you have the latest version of the Facebook and Messenger mobile apps downloaded from the App Store or the Google Play Store. Then follow these steps:
- Open the Messenger app.
- Tap the People tab at the bottom right of the screen.
- Tap Create a Room, and select the people who you want to join.
- To share a room with people who don’t have a Facebook account, you can share the link with them. You can also share the room in your News Feed, Groups and Events.